LOTTE Rent-a-Car: No.1 Choice for Foreign Tourists in Korea
Korea, a captivating travel destination, attracts countless foreigners each year with its rich culture, historical heritage, and breathtaking landscapes. The Korea Tourism Organization reports that July 2023 saw a record-breaking one million foreign tourists visiting the country for the first time since the COVID-19 pandemic began.
LOTTE Rent-a-Car, the leading rental car brand in Korea, offers an in-depth guide to renting a car while traveling in Korea. This comprehensive resource addresses the most frequently asked questions by foreign tourists. Furthermore, LOTTE Rent-a-Car recommends the Seoul metropolitan area, Busan, and Jeju Island as the top destinations for foreign tourists, where they can conveniently explore using rental cars.
LOTTE Rent-a-Car: Korea’s Premier Rental Car Brand
LOTTE Rent-a-Car dominates the car rental market in Korea, holding the largest market share. With the increasing number of short-term rental car users among foreigners visiting Korea, LOTTE Rent-a-Car has dedicated professional staff and rental manuals specifically tailored to foreign customers. Their customer center operates 24/7 to provide immediate assistance in case of any incidents.
The extensive sales network of LOTTE Rent-a-Car spans across the country, ensuring convenience for travelers. They have branches at five major airports, including Incheon, Gimpo, and Gimhae, as well as 17 train stations, such as Seoul Station, Busan Station, and Gangneung Station.
Common Inquiries from Foreign Tourists Renting a Car in Korea
To address the most common concerns of foreign tourists visiting Korea and planning to rent a car, we consulted LOTTE Rent-a-Car’s Seoul Station branch and Incheon International Airport Sales Office, which serve a significant number of foreign customers. Here are the key questions they identified:
1. What documents are required to rent a car in Korea?
– A valid driver’s license and identification such as a passport or residence card are mandatory. An International Driving Permit (IDP) is also recognized. For IDP holders, a passport or passport information certificate is required to verify the date of entry. The original IDP must be presented during vehicle pickup, and copies or photos are not accepted. The type of vehicle that can be rented depends on the IDP level, ranging from nine-seater vehicles for grade B to twelve-seater vehicles for grade D.
2. Is the Taiwanese International Driving Permit accepted in Korea?
– Starting from February 2022, the Taiwanese International Driving Permit is accepted in Korea.
3. Is the European Union International Driving Permit accepted in Korea?
– The European Union International Driving Permit is not accepted in Korea.
Payment and Usage of Rental Cars
Foreign tourists often have questions regarding payment methods and car usage during their rental period. Here are the frequently asked questions:
1. Can I pay for a rental car in cash or with Apple Pay?
– No, payment can only be made using credit or debit cards. If you don’t have a card, you can purchase a Wow Pass card near Seoul Station.
2. How do I use the navigation system?
– English GPS is installed in rental cars. You can search for destinations using addresses, phone numbers, or postcodes. Additionally, you have the option to save your destination to the GPS for future reference.
3. How many passengers can an SUV or van accommodate, and how much luggage can it hold?
– Compact and standard vehicles generally seat four people and have room for two large and one small piece of luggage. SUVs can accommodate five people and carry three large pieces of luggage and one small piece. Vans typically seat six passengers and have space for three large and one small piece of luggage. It’s important to note that each vehicle may vary, so please refer to LOTTE Rent-a-Car’s website for specific details based on car class.
4. How do I pay highway tolls?
– To pay highway tolls, you can purchase a Hi-Pass card from LOTTE Rent-a-Car branches, convenience stores, or highway rest areas. At branches, the card costs 30,000 won and is charged with a total value of 35,000 won. There are no refunds for returned cards. Alternatively, you can pay in cash at tollgates, but it’s essential to check if the tollgate is manned or unmanned. GPS devices can provide information on toll fees.
5. Are there any special benefits for foreign customers?
– LOTTE Rent-a-Car offers a free charging promotion for all foreign customers renting electric vehicles at specific branches, including Jeju Auto House, Seoul Station, Incheon International Airport, Busan Station, Haeundae, and Gimhae Airport. Foreign customers renting an electric vehicle are provided with a charging card.
Car Damage Waiver (CDW)
CDW coverage protects customers against car accidents caused by their own mistakes. Here are the main points related to CDW:
1. What does CDW coverage include?
– CDW provides complete exemption from liability for vehicle damage. However, certain exceptions exist, such as tire problems, vehicle replacement costs, and interior damage. All LOTTE Rent-a-Car vehicles are fully covered by insurance, allowing for unlimited third-party liability coverage in the event of a traffic accident. Property damage is insured up to 20 million won, and personal injury is covered up to 15 million won.
2. What is the compensation fee for an inoperable vehicle?
– In case of an accident rendering the vehicle inoperable, customers are responsible for 50% of the standard rental fare for the repair duration. The rental contract is automatically terminated, and no substitution vehicles are provided.
Recommended Travel Destinations: The Heart of Korea – the Seoul Metropolitan Area
Seoul, the capital of Korea, is the most sought-after tourist destination among foreigners. According to the Korea Culture and Tourism Institute’s foreign tourist survey report in 2022, Seoul was visited by 81.7% of foreign tourists, followed by Busan (22.8%), Gyeonggi (15.3%), and Jeju (13%) (multiple responses).
LOTTE Rent-a-Car suggests visiting iconic places in Seoul and other metropolitan areas, such as LOTTE WORLD TOWER and Nami Island.
LOTTE WORLD TOWER is the world’s fifth-tallest skyscraper, soaring 555 meters high with 123 floors. The tower houses the five-star hotel ‘Signiel Seoul,’ the ‘Seoul Sky’ observatory offering a splendid night view, the largest luxury department store called ‘Avenuel,’ and ‘LOTTE DUTY FREE,’ the largest duty-free shop in Korea. Seoul Sky, in particular, provides a 360-degree panoramic view of the city. To celebrate Visit Korea Year 2023-2024, LOTTE Rent-a-Car offers a special benefit. Customers renting any vehicle for three days or more (72 hours or more) or a premium vehicle (Genesis GV70, G80, GV80, G90) for one day or more (24 hours or more) from LOTTE Rent-a-Car’s branches in Incheon International Airport, Gimpo Airport, or Seoul can enjoy two complimentary tickets to The Seoul Sky Observatory.
Nami Island is an enchanting destination where culture, art, and natural beauty thrive. It gained popularity following its appearance as a filming location for the famous drama “Winter Sonata” in 2002, attracting domestic and international tourists, especially from Japan, Taiwan, mainland China, and Southeast Asia. To cater to the significant number of foreign visitors, Nami Island provides information services in ten languages, including English, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, and Vietnamese.
Recommended Travel Destination: Busan – Korea’s Second Largest City
Busan, like Seoul, is a must-visit city for many foreign tourists. As Korea’s representative maritime city and the country’s second-largest city, Busan offers alluring attractions, including Haeundae Beach and Haedong Yonggungsa Temple.
Haeundae Beach is renowned as one of Busan’s finest sandy beaches, exuding a vibrant atmosphere. Its 1.5 km stretch of white sand is complemented by numerous recreational and support facilities, attracting visitors of all nationalities and ages. The view of Marine City from The Bay 101 at night is a sight not to be missed. Visitors are encouraged to park at nearby public parking lots and explore the food stall village and traditional market.
Haedong Yonggungsa Temple, perched on a cliff along the coast of Gijang, stands as a unique coastal temple and a beloved symbol of Busan. Unlike most temples located in the mountains, Haedong Yonggungsa Temple offers a breathtaking ocean vista. Visitors often toss coins on the bridge, making wishes with the belief that sincere prayers will come true.
Recommended Travel Destination: Jeju Island – A World-Famous Volcanic Gem
Jeju Island, a renowned volcanic island, boasts a plethora of tourist attractions that showcase its distinctive topography. From parasitic volcanic cones called Oreum to caves formed by lava tubes, Jeju Island presents a captivating natural landscape. Seongsan Ilchulbong and Halla Mountain are among the prominent destinations on the island.
Seongsan Ilchulbong resembles an imposing fortress rising from the sea. Upon reaching the peak, visitors are greeted by a colossal crater resembling a massive bowl. The name “Seongsan” refers to its castle-like appearance, while “Ilchulbong” signifies its spectacular sunrise view.
Halla Mountain, the highest peak in Korea, also attracts foreign tourists. The mountain features a crater lake formed by a blocked volcanic vent. Due to the varying temperature gradients, Halla Mountain supports a diverse range of plant species.
LOTTE Rent-a-Car’s Commitment to Foreign Visitors
LOTTE Rent-a-Car strives to create a more convenient environment for foreign customers, catering to their needs with a wide range of services. By providing hassle-free rental car services, LOTTE Rent-a-Car aims to help foreign tourists fully experience the charm of Korea.
About LOTTE Rent-a-Car
LOTTE Rent-a-Car is the sole comprehensive rental company in Korea, offering valuable services through various business portfolios. Their range of offerings includes auto mobility services that enhance customers’ car life and business solution services designed to support efficient operations. As the premier car rental brand, LOTTE Rent-a-Car is spearheading innovative mobility services. Their introduction of Greencar, Korea’s first car-sharing brand, demonstrates their commitment to providing exceptional mobility services. LOTTE Rent-a-Car strives to connect customers’ cherished lives as a leading mobility provider.
For more information about LOTTE Rent-a-Car, please visit: [LINK]
Source: LOTTE Rent-a-Car