Title: The Rise of Electric SUVs: A Closer Look at the Best Picks
SUVs have dominated the American automotive market for years, and the trend has continued with the rise of electric vehicles (EVs). In fact, nearly 70% of the EV models available in the US today are SUVs, with more on the way. Modern automotive design has transformed SUVs into road-friendly multitaskers, and Americans can’t seem to get enough of their elevated seating position and spacious cabins. In this article, we will explore the practical reasons why SUVs are the preferred choice for most EV buyers, discuss the best overall electric SUVs, and provide insights into the factors you should consider before buying an electric SUV.
The Best Overall Electric SUV: Tesla Model Y
The Tesla Model Y earns the title of the best overall electric SUV due to its balance of range, performance, and value. As the best-selling electric car in the US, the Model Y offers class-topping range and impressive performance. It also provides access to Tesla’s extensive Supercharger network, making it ideal for emissions-free road trips. While it may not be perfect for everyone, the Model Y’s core features and value make it a smart choice for most electric SUV shoppers.
Best Electric SUVs of 2023:
1. Rivian R1S: The R1S combines adventure and practicality with its three-row seating and exciting design. It offers a dual-motor electric powertrain option for improved range and efficiency.
2. Mercedes-Maybach EQS 680 SUV: This luxury electric SUV offers a whisper-quiet cabin, luxurious upholstery, and a range of high-end features. Its backseat is considered the most opulent among electric SUVs.
3. Tesla Model X: With the longest range of any electric SUV on the road today, the Model X offers up to 348 miles per charge. Its Falcon doors add a touch of flair to its design.
4. Chevrolet Bolt EUV: The Bolt EUV is one of the most affordable electric SUVs available, starting at just $28,795. While it offers a relatively shorter range, it is a practical option for daily driving.
5. Kia EV6: The EV6 offers bidirectional charging through its V2L AC adapter, making it a great choice for those interested in powering appliances or charging other electric devices.
Factors to Consider Before Buying an Electric SUV:
– Cargo and passenger capacity: Determine your specific needs for cargo space and seating capacity.
– Range and towing: Consider the range you require for your daily commute and any towing needs.
– Efficiency: Look for electric SUVs with high efficiency ratings to save on energy costs.
– Charging: Evaluate the availability of charging networks and the charging speeds of different electric SUVs.
– Features: Assess the cabin technology, safety features, and driver aid technologies offered by electric SUVs.
How We Test Electric SUVs:
The testing process involves real-world driving conditions on various road types, including urban streets, highways, and mountain roads. The range, efficiency, and charging speeds are assessed, along with factors such as cabin comfort and technology. The reviewer’s experience and expertise in evaluating hundreds of vehicles provide valuable insights into each electric SUV’s performance and features.
Other Electric SUVs We Tested:
– Volkswagen ID.4: A solid alternative to the Tesla Model Y, offering good range and performance. However, it has some ergonomic design flaws.
– Audi Q8 E-Tron and BMW iX: Both models provide excellent electric performance, range, and charging speeds, with luxurious cabin materials and features.
– How much range should I look for in an electric SUV? The range required depends on your individual needs and driving habits. For most drivers, an electric SUV with 200-300 miles of range is sufficient for daily driving and occasional road trips.
– How long does it take to charge an electric SUV? Charging time depends on the charging hardware and battery pack size. Fast DC charging can range from 30 to 60 minutes for 80% charge, while Level 2 charging takes longer. Level 1 charging is the slowest.
– Are electric SUVs more expensive than gas-powered cars? Electric SUVs tend to be more expensive due to their large battery packs. However, potential savings in operating costs and government incentives can offset the higher initial purchase price.
– Are electric SUVs better for the environment? Electric SUVs have no tailpipe emissions and lower energy requirements, improving local air quality. However, their overall environmental impact depends on regional electricity generation and manufacturing processes.
Electric SUVs are gaining popularity in the American automotive market. The Tesla Model Y stands out as the best overall electric SUV, while other models like the Rivian R1S, Mercedes-Maybach EQS 680 SUV, Tesla Model X, Chevrolet Bolt EUV, and Kia EV6 offer unique features and performance. When considering an electric SUV, factors such as cargo and passenger capacity, range, efficiency, charging, and features should be considered. Through proper testing and evaluation, consumers can make an informed decision when purchasing an electric SUV.